We are a non-profit foundation, and our main goal is to help people who suffer from cancer who not only have to go through the difficult process of cancer but also through the difficult situation in Venezuela, being unable to find food and the medicines needed because they don’t have the money or they can’t find it.
To provide patients affected by cancer with scarce economic resources the opportunity to obtain the treatment and accompaniment necessary to overcome the disease with dignity.
- To improve the quality of life of patients with cancer and without economic resources.
- To provide psychological, moral, spiritual and economic support to anyone suffering from cancer.
- To establish agreements with private and public health institutions to assist people with cancer disease in acquiring medical treatments and medicines that they need to improve their health.
- To contribute to the prevention of cancer.
How do we do it?
- First, The foundation makes a diagnosis to know who are the people in the village who suffer from the disease and do not have the resources to fight against it.
- Second, different activities are put into action for fundraising, and prevention of cancer.
- Third, the aid is delivery.
After having collected the necessary resources, the foundation proceeds to help sick people or their families where they need it, usually the different types of help that are offered are:
- Monetary aid so that the patient can buy the necessary medicines (if they are not scarce)
- Different types of food so the patient can have more strength to fight the disease.
- Monetary assistance so that the patient can cover the expenses of his or her transportation to the hospital where the treatment is performed.
- Monetary aid to the deceased patient’s family so they can cover the costs of their burial.
- Delivery of necessary supplies to improve the quality of life of the patient, such as: Diapers (which are scarce), breast implants, clothing, among others.
Due to the very precarious situation of the country, there have been people who do not suffer from cancer but who have other types of diseases or other needs that have come to seek the help of the foundation. Therefore, we often help these people in different ways, either with medicines, food, supplies or transportation. At this moment we know of several cases of malnourished children and the case of a child whose mother died of cancer and does not have the sufficient economic resources to live with dignity. Although these other people do not suffer of cancer we would like to be able to help them.
The situation in Venezuela is extremely difficult. The country faces shortage and poverty.
The gap between wages and prices is huge. What happens is that prices do not reflect the value of the bolivar but the dollar rate in the black market. For imports to be possible the owners have to exchange a very large amount of bolivars for a few dollars. Evidently, the value of the dollar has an impact on the prices of products that are paid in bolivars. As the needs increase, the dollar’s value rises. Thus, food products become inaccessible as prices are emancipated from wages.
This economic chaos pushes the population to poverty and in some cases to extreme poverty. In the subway, on the streets, everywhere, people beg for food or medicine. Driven by an unsustainable economic situation, mainly due to speculation about currency and food, people become fragile and vulnerable. Those who do not go under the red line make an immeasurable effort to survive.
This situation becomes worst when people is affected by cancer. And because of that we decided to create this foundation to help cancer victims who are deprived of financial resources. Patients do not have the money to access medicines and don’t have the money to go to the cities where they can have the treatment. Last year we fund-raised 110,000 bolivars during a campaign but sadly that amount is not enough, for example we wanted to help a patient who needed a medicament every week that costed 40,000bs and we just fund-raised 110,000bs. And sadly there is more and more people in similar situations. Despite the generous help of the inhabitants, financial support is needed. It is difficult for the poor in Venezuela, that is to say, the majority of the population, because the situation already strikes them a lot. Thus, it is difficult to keep the flame of solidarity on fire, although, it must continued. Today, we seek the help of countries where the currency is strong (dollar and euro) and launch a call for solidarity with Venezuela. If some people can give, let’s say 3 or 5 dollars a month, it would make a big difference. It’d be a contribution that is higher than what a normal person can offer in Venezuela. The money will allow some patients to face cancer with dignity.
If you are interested in helping us you can write to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The foundation is committed to inform donors every month about what is being done with the funds donated.
Thanks for you help.